There are several crucial crew management areas you need to take care of. Some of Leon Software owners are pilots and we know where the main obstacles are.
Flight Time Limitations tracking
This is a must. Every scheduling software - if we are talking about serious products - must have this functionality. Probably there are not many as complicated things in the industry as tracking accurately your crew duty limits. There are these nice Subpart Q regulations but at the end of the day what you need is to refer to your OM part 7 and make sure every single point is met. Many operators have their own restrictions on top of EASA regulations or some specific CAA requirements. This is all about many details and in our software, during installation process we make sure everything is reflected. Not only from Subpart Q which is just a starting point. We implement regulations from your Operations Manual, chapter 7. Then we test it.
- What is the maximum FDP limit?
- Can I use the split duty after I was on other hemisphere for the last few days and my rest was shortened? And by the way am I starting my flight in WOCL? Of course not the one I am currently in but from another local time I am acclimatising.
- How about pilot’s annual limits? Max duty time? Two local nights on 36h rest?
- Positioning of the crew must be taken into account as wel
- And more... there is a multitude of scenarios
There is a lot of talking about duty period in the industry. We have set up in Leon FTL warnings for dozens of operators according to their OM part 7 so our IT team is well experienced and have vast knowledge on the subject. From your perspective if the crew is flashing red, it means that Leon doesn’t like something in your FTL. Not sure what? Click on it and you will get an instant answer about any detail you might ask.
Ask your pilot’s chief if your crew duty roster is something easy. Well, we know it is not. There are a lot of issues related to crew planning and we are trying to address all of them:
- Plan your crew in proportion giving them fair OFF/Duty ratio in comparison to others.
- Address their request about any duty change. Leon allows crew members to make request by themselves directly on their duty roster and your planner can simply approve or reject a request. But it’s just one of the ways Leon offers.
- Allow your crew to see their roster instantly. We have dedicated iPhone/iPad application which synchronize with main application and can work offline (during flight). Android is in development plan.
- You might have different duty types - OFF, Vacation, Training, Office work, Stand-by, Sick, whatever. All is configurable but we are the configurators (honestly the configuration is a little magic so we prefer to do it ourselves). We collect necessary information from you and configure duty roster legend according your requirements.
License, medical, type rating... manage all endorsements
Every pilot needs about 20-30 different documents to legally fly an aircraft. License and medical certificate are just basics but there are also type ratings, OPC, LPC, DGR, airport security training, VISAs, CRM training, MNPS, ugh... All expiring with different patterns. It would be nice to have them all in one place, with scans and with automatic notifications sent both to the owner and chief about any upcoming expiry, right? We’ve got it. We have even developed some suggestions about expiry dates based on document type to avoid mistakes on entering data.
Information flow and again... information flow!
All the industry knows how important information flow is. Especially when we have EOBT - 1h. Leon is just a program and cannot drive business but for sure it can do all these repetitive tasks with outstanding precision.
- Hour of departure changed? Inform crew!
- New CTOT? Inform crew!
- Handling agent changed? Inform crew!
- Number of passengers changed? Inform crew!
- AOG? Inform maintenance!
- Put your own scenario here...
Now multiply the above examples by number of crew and then by the fleet size. It can really be a process. We have a tool for that. We call it simply notification system. It can be configured in many different ways to reflect the workflow and needs of your company.
Distribute new AOC, broadcast messages
Sometimes you need to announce something and make sure that all of your recipients familiarize with what you have sent. OK, you might do that using simple e-mail program but there is a little problem with “...recipients familiarize...” part. In Leon you have access to all your personnel groups and you can broadcast them any messages. This is not a big deal but it’s quite useful. We want to improve that in the future by adding a useful functionality: documents repository (like AOC).
Google calendar sync. Or any other.
Well... We wouldn’t call it ‘functionality’ or ‘module’ but for sure it is worth mentioning. Anybody can synchronize their own preferred calendar on mobile or on notebook with their flights schedule or duty roster. This is particularly useful for crewmembers and aircraft owners.